HELLO

Welcome to the blog of my Wild Flower Meadow for 2015.
A bit late starting this year due to nasty persistent virus that was so difficult to eradicate.
Sadly this may be the last year I may be keeping a blog for my meadow . The house and acre of land will be going on the market in the not too distant future . The new owners may put the land back to grazing or development who knows .
I sincerely hope not.
I hope it will be as loved and nurtured as It has been since I started it in 2006
In the mean time I will endeavour to keep the blog up to date with lots of pictures showing how the plants and wildlife play out in 2015 .I hope you enjoy viewing it as much as I do producing it.
Please pop back from time to time to see the new additions and feel free to add any comments

Saturday 4 April 2015

Easter Saturday 2015

A gorgeous warm spring day . warm enough not to wear a coat . The daffodils are looking beautiful .I planted an extra 500 over the winter 300 in the meadow 200 in the garden . In the meadow they were planted around the fruit trees .although a little sparse now they will soon double up. 



The Primroses ,Ox slips and Anemone  Blanda are already flowering but the Fritillary are very disappointing I think this is due to  the arrival of the Lily Beetle that was unknown in this area until about 2 years ago now it is a real pest on Lilies and also Fritillery 
Fritillary

While the meadow is a magnet for wildlife ,it also has its unwelcome visitors too . the Moles have been excessively active over the winter .At one time I counted 60 mole hills at the top of the meadow. Today I saw the mole catcher in the adjoining fields . The farmer must have decided to get rid  of any moles in his fields . While the mole is safe in my meadow  as soon as he ventures across the boundary he will be no more.

Mole hills

Another unwelcome guests are Rabbits and huge population of Bank  Voles holes everywhere  but these are the main food source for other animals and birds so I suppose I can expect Stoats Weasels and various birds of prey and Owls . Its interesting to see how the meadow is evolving from year to year.

No comments:

Post a Comment